Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Photoshop in Blender



This is the first in a series of I don’t know how many tutorials on how to do 2D image editing with Blender, more specifically with Blender’s composite node system. I’m using Version 2.63, although in general these tutorials should work with any version of Blender, from 2.6 on, and probably with recent 2.5 builds as well. I say “perhaps” because I haven’t tested this tutorial in any version except 2.63. What will be fun about these is that we are going to totally ignore the 3D characteristics of Blender. We’re going to use Blender as if it were Photoshop or The Gimp, as an image editor. I happen to use The Gimp, but I titled the tutorials Photoshop in Blender because more people, for whatever reason, use Photoshop. After watching these videos, you can then evaluate what part of your image editing workflow actually needs to be in Photoshop or The Gimp, and how much can actually be done in Blender.

In Part 1, we will set up the environment and do some simple image processing.